- Announcement Date: September 9, 2014
- Operating System: iOS 9 (upgradable to later versions)
- Finish: Silver, Gold, Space Gray
- Capacity: 16GB, 64GB, 128GB
- Height: 6.22 inches (158.1 mm)
- Width: 3.06 inches (77.8 mm)
- Depth: 0.28 inch (7.1 mm)
- Weight: 6.07 ounces (172 grams)
- Type: Retina HD display
- Size: 5.5-inch LED-backlit widescreen Multi‑Touch display with IPS technology
- Resolution: 1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi
- Other Features: Dual-domain pixels for wide viewing angles, 500 cd/m2 max brightness, Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, Display Zoom, Reachability.
- Chipset: A8 chip with 64-bit architecture
- Motion Coprocessor: M8 motion coprocessor
- Primary (Rear) Camera: 8-megapixel iSight camera with features like autofocus with Focus Pixels, Optical image stabilization (exclusive to iPhone 6 Plus), True Tone flash, and panorama up to 43 megapixels.
- Video Recording: 1080p HD video recording (30 fps or 60 fps), Slo-mo video (120 fps or 240 fps), Time-lapse video with stabilization.
- Front Camera: 1.2-megapixel FaceTime HD camera with 720p HD video recording.
Connectivity: LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC
Battery: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with up to 24 hours talk time on 3G, up to 12 hours internet use on Wi-Fi, and up to 16 days standby time.
iPhone 6 Plus Pricing & Availability:
- Contract Pricing (U.S.):
- iPhone 6 Plus (16GB): $299 on contract
- iPhone 6 Plus (64GB): $399 on contract
- iPhone 6 Plus (128GB): $499 on contract
- Off-Contract Pricing (U.S.):
- iPhone 6 Plus (16GB): Starts at $749
- iPhone 6 Plus (64GB): Not specified, but typically $100 more than the base model
- iPhone 6 Plus (128GB): Up to $949
- European Pricing:
- Prices typically started at EUR 699 and went up to EUR 999 for the most expensive 6 Plus variant. However, prices varied by country, with some countries like France and Italy having slightly higher prices.
- Release Date:
- Preorders began on September 12, 2014.
- The official launch date was September 19, 2014, in 10 markets: U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, and the U.K.
- On September 26, 2014, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus became available in 18 additional markets, including Switzerland, Italy, New Zealand, Sweden, Netherlands, Spain, Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Luxembourg, Russia, Austria, Turkey, Finland, Taiwan, Belgium, Portugal, and the United Arab Emirates.
Apple Pay: Pay with your iPhone using Touch ID in stores and in apps.
- Touch ID: Fingerprint identity sensor built into the Home button.
- Siri: Use your voice to send messages, set reminders, and more.
- Environmental Impact: Mercury-free LED-backlit display, Arsenic-free display glass, Brominated flame retardant-free, PVC-free, Beryllium-free, Recyclable aluminum enclosure.
Pricing & Availability:
- The iPhone 6 Plus was available in various storage capacities, and the pricing varied based on the storage option and the region. The device was initially offered on contract with carriers, and the off-contract prices started higher than the iPhone 6 due to its larger display and additional features.
The iPhone 6 Plus was Apple’s first foray into the “Phablet” market, offering a significantly larger screen than its predecessors. This device catered to users who desired a larger display for media consumption, multitasking, and other tasks that benefit from a bigger screen. The optical image stabilization in its camera was a standout feature, helping users capture clearer photos, especially in low light. The introduction of Apple Pay with the iPhone 6 Plus showcased Apple’s vision for the future of digital payments. The device was not just a larger version of the iPhone 6; it brought its own unique features to the table, making it a favorite among many Apple enthusiasts.