iPhone 5 Specifications and Features
- Announcement Date: September 12, 2012
- Release Date: September 21, 2012
- Operating System: iOS 6 (upgradable to iOS 10.3.4)
- Dimensions: 123.8 mm x 58.6 mm x 7.6 mm
- Weight: 112 grams
- Build: Front glass, aluminum body
- SIM: Nano-SIM
- Colors: Black/Slate, White/Silver
- Type: Retina display, 4-inch widescreen Multi-Touch display
- Resolution: 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass with oleophobic coating
- Chipset: Apple A6
- CPU: Dual-core 1.3 GHz Swift (ARM v7-based)
- GPU: PowerVR SGX 543MP3
- Internal Storage: 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB variants
- RAM: 1 GB DDR2
- Primary (Rear) Camera: 8-megapixel with autofocus, tap to focus, face detection, LED flash, and panorama
- Video: 1080p HD recording at 30 fps with video stabilization
- Secondary (Front) Camera: 1.2 MP, 720p@30fps
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band
- Bluetooth: 4.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Radio: No
- USB: 2.0 with dock connector
- Sensors: Three-axis gyro, accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor
- Voice Assistant: Siri
- Type: Non-removable Li-Po 1440 mAh battery
- Talk Time: Up to 8 hours on 3G
- Standby Time: Up to 225 hours
- Internet Use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
- Video Playback: Up to 10 hours
- Audio Playback: Up to 40 hours
In the Box:
- iPhone 5
- Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic
- Lightning to USB Cable
- USB Power Adapter
The iPhone 5 was a pivotal release for Apple, marking a departure from the design of the iPhone 4s. It was taller, thinner, and lighter, with a 4-inch screen, up from the 3.5-inch screen of its predecessors. The aluminum body gave it a sleek and modern look. The iPhone 5 was also the first iPhone to feature the Lightning connector, replacing the 30-pin dock connector. The A6 chip provided faster performance and better graphics, making the iPhone 5 a powerhouse in its time.
Apple Orders, Discontinuation, Price:
- Apple Order Number: MD634LL/A
- Discontinuation Date: September 10, 2013
- Initial Price:
- 16GB: $199 (with a two-year contract in the U.S.)
- 32GB: $299 (with a two-year contract in the U.S.)
- 64GB: $399 (with a two-year contract in the U.S.)
- Unsubsidized Price: Starting at $649
- The iPhone 5 was the first iPhone to be developed under the guidance of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, after the passing of Steve Jobs.
- It was the last iPhone to have a 3.5mm headphone jack until the iPhone SE (2020).
- The iPhone 5 was the first model to introduce the Lightning port, replacing the 30-pin dock connector used in previous iPhone models.
- It was also the first iPhone to support LTE, allowing for faster data speeds.
- The iPhone 5 faced some initial controversies, including the “Scuffgate” issue where users reported the black model showed scratches easily. There was also criticism over Apple Maps, which had inaccuracies and lacked features compared to Google Maps.
- Despite the controversies, the iPhone 5 was well-received by critics and users alike for its design, display quality, and overall performance.
With the introduction of the iPhone 5, Apple showcased its commitment to innovation and design. The device was not just an incremental upgrade but brought significant changes in terms of hardware, software, and aesthetics. The shift to a larger screen size, the introduction of the Lightning port, and the support for LTE were clear indicators of Apple’s vision for the future of smartphones. The iPhone 5 set the stage for the designs and features that would be seen in subsequent iPhone models.